FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:06 am
Global_Hi_Flyer

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Precheck is fine when it works, unfortunately, I'm batting <30% on using it. It doesn't work if there's international segments in the itinerary (for me, it doesn't even work on a final domestic segment returning from international). Even a TSA supe told me that getting it more than 25% is "lucky" (yes, I know some folks have had better luck, but I also know folks that have had worse luck).

At many airports you have to stand in the regular, long line in order to even find out if you are cleared to use it. That defeats any potential time-savings you might get: it just minimizes your chance of a grope.

I won't go so far as to call Precheck a failure as it has good points and COULD be quite successful if one can get cleared more often or save time.

I'll also note that at many airports (and IAD, this includes you) the screeners tend to be obnoxious, authoritarian, and threatening.

I've cut back my travel a LOT. It's been 3 months now and I have noted a great reduction in stress not having to deal with them.