FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Scotland have world class scenery?
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:42 am
shippeb

What kinds of things do you like to see, and when do you plan to go?

Quite frankly, I think it does -- Glen Coe; Cairngorms; Eilean Donan castle; Kelso, Jedburgh, Dryburgh, and Melrose Abbeys; Elgin Cathedral; the Great Glen, Loch Ness, and Urquhart Castle; Edinburgh Castle; etc etc etc.

I don't think it has exactly the same soaring mountains and crags that your examples do -- no Zermatt, for example -- although there is the Black Cuillin on the Isle of Skye. But if you want the scenery of the Swiss Alps, the Canadian Rockies, New Zealand, or Norway, why not go to one of those places?

Google Black Cuillin, Great Glen, Glen Coe, Cairngorms, Arrochar Alps, and Rest and Be Thankful and see what you think of it.

One piece of advice if you are only going to have a limited time (you cite 5 or 6 days, for example) is to pick only one or two things to do. This is especially true if you do not plan to rent a car! For example, to get from Nice to near Inverness by flying into EDI I need a full day, and a full day on the way back, with departures at 6 or 7am and arrivals around 7pm (to Inverness) or 10pm or later (to Nice). So, if you have 6 days total, you'll lose two getting from the US to the highlands, plus at least one coming back and more likely two. Two or three days at your destination isn't much if you have a whole list of things to see or do.