FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Johannesburg - limited free time / long layover
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:01 pm
trekker954

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Johannesburg - limited free time / long layover

Let me start by saying when I was given a business assignment in Johannesburg - I started mapping out my big safari adventure in Sabi Sands, Kruger National Park (as I considered any less to be inferior). I was going to stay after my meetings to accomplish this. Well, best layed plans, it all fell apart; mostly tried to book at peak times and not enough advance. So I was to go to Jo'Berg for 10 days with a weekend in between. I decided I'd try Lion Park (I so enjoyed my Tiger Temple trip outside Bangkok - which was incredible - but nothing like Lion Park) and I found an interesting tour for Pilanesburg National Park. I did my research on tripadvisor and emailed them of my plans which they agreed to help me accomplish and then some. I am not sure I can post recommendations of companies on this site, so I will just say they were incredible. I'm here mostly to say, don't be a snob. Pilanesburg is incredible. I was picked up in Johannesburg at 9 am. and we drove straight to the park (there are touristy places to shop along the way if that is your thing). We entered Kwamarenane drive in my guide's van (you must be in a high vehicle as a standard car you will miss alot because the grass is high). Within minutes we saw elephant, giraffe, wilderbeast, zebra and more. Half way in we stopped at a outlook (and bathroom) overlooking a waterhole and I couldn't believe my eyes, everything was right there, altogether (except for lions of course). You couldn't do this from an open air safari vehicle. By 2 pm he had us at the Buckubung lodge for a buffet lunch. Then at 3:30 we left on one of their open air safari vehicle for an afternoon/evening game drive. Again, not to disappoint as we added the buffalo and even lions (though they were quite a distance away, even with my bionoculars it was hard to see. But what I'm saying is other than leopard I did attain the Big 5 at this park. I did speak with a couple at my hotel who said they just returned from Kruger and didn't see lions, leopards or buffalo. So there you have it. If you are only in Johannesburg, there are things you can enjoy without the added cost or time to get to Kruger. BTW, Lion park was pretty awesome also.