FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:21 am
jaymar01

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by tcook052
I’m sorry to hear that but hope you aren't judging the two forums based upon a single thread. The MR Moderation team is always willing to listen to input and any member who has concerns is encouraged to share them with us.

You are right in that there is friction generated by newer posters drawn by the FD opportunities but who aren’t willing to invest the time to try and learn more about it and often will freely admit as much which draws some sharp responses.

I’d wager if you prefaced your query in a destination forum with an admission you couldn’t be bothered searching for the answer yourself and expected long-time members to give you the shortcuts the response might be as sharp as in the Trick It thread.

I’ve found over the years how input is sought will in large part determine how it is given.

So the reason posters are abandoning Flyertalk is not a Flyertalk “attitude” per se, but the poster’s failure to properly demonstrate a level of sophistication, and an adequate amount of upfront research .

In other words:
• A poster interested in travelling by train from Budapest to Kiev must demonstrate basic knowledge of the Hungarian and Ukranian rail system.

• A poster interested in opening a Chase Sapphire credit card is expected to have a satisfactory working knowledge of the point redemption options.

• A poster interested in purchasing a discounted Buffalo to Omaha air ticket should be familiar with United’s mileage earning schedules under ticket Classes B, F and H.

How much pre-posting investment of time do you propose is adequate to “earn” a Flyertalk response? Is a week enough? A month? Should the Flyertalk Board demand verification of research?

It’s no wonder posters are abandoning Flyertalk if you’re going to castigate the intentions and motives of new/inexperienced posters with a “Prove to me you’re worthy of my time and effort, and you’ll secure a response” approach.

Moreover, your characterization of posters has absolutely no basis in reality. Almost never do I see posters acting like this. I would be more than happy to randomly select a dozen forums on Flyertalk, and challenge you to find me one poster who prefaces a request for help the way you presented it. It simply does not happen, outside of the very rare instance. Yet, somehow you find it common, and use it to justify the lack of civility on the boards.

The really unfortunate part of all of this is that the Mileage Run board, along with MileBuzz, and the Credit Card forums are where most new members gravitate. They're looking for airline miles and/or flight deals.

And if the message Flyertalk is sending them is reflective of your post, we all lose.