FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:13 pm
balima

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by DHAST
Somehow, and I have a hard time articulating this, there's a difference between a "tell me about..." and "plan my trip for me." I'm happy to tell you my opinions about anything... properties I've been to, classes of services, or anything that doesn't take much work for me.

I'm not happy to plan your trip for you for no compensation. That starts getting into consulting, and requires me to *work* (ok, you hit on that word) with you to figure out something that is feasible and that you will enjoy. And for that, I want to be compensated.

For some reason, if someone says they're HHonors Gold and SPG Gold, and want to know what their best option in BKK is, it's a question I'm willing to answer. If one starts a post that says, "I want a free week in BKK, what do I do?" well, I'm just not that interested in answering that question and will just move on. Why? It's hard to articulate, but it's how I feel.
I think we feel the same way here. There is a big difference between "I need help with this particular circumstance which with I am unfamiliar" and "How do I get a free vacation to London and Paris?"

In the beginning I did my due diligence, and still do, and phrase a questions with, "I see I can do XYZ or MNO. But, what if I want HIJ? I think it lets others see you have made an attempt to find the answer, but you still have questions. I have never gotten a bad reply. I believe it is a difference between, "I've tried and I don't know what I am doing wrong, please help." And "Do it for me", which is what you said.

With FT becoming so popular, we are seeing a lot more of the "Do it for me" just because of the sheer numbers of people coming in. I don't believe percentage wise that there are more. With more people flying than in previous generations and more people having access to the internet, FT just gets a lot more traffic. Blogs mention FT as a source and newbies get attracted to what they believe is the holy grail. But, the holy grail is mystical and effort is needed to unlock her secrets.

Actually, I think all Forums should have a Newbies read this first type of thread. I know many do, but it would give those basics that will get someone new to think about what they want and how to ask for help. Face it, usually one of the first replies to a newbie is usually, Where do you want to go? When? How long? How many people? Which class? Heck, I've written that reply a number of times myself. I usually finishes with - read. Maybe we need a newbie sticky.