FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:02 pm
tcook052
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jaymar01
This is exactly why the Mileage Run board has become such an awful place to visit. My skin crawls when I read the "tough love" regularly dished out in the Trick it board.

Thankfully, people in places like the Destination Forums actually treat new posters with respect, and a willingness to help.

For example....you'll actually find long-time posters there explaining the nuances of the German rail system without a condescending attitude...or a directive to read the entire Die Bahn code of practices and procedures (in original German of course). Why? Because the initial poster is unfamiliar with a foreign transportation option, and is simply asking Flyertalkers for help.

Imagine that Flyertalk can work.
I’m sorry to hear that but hope you aren't judging the two forums based upon a single thread. The MR Moderation team is always willing to listen to input and any member who has concerns is encouraged to share them with us.

You are right in that there is friction generated by newer posters drawn by the FD opportunities but who aren’t willing to invest the time to try and learn more about it and often will freely admit as much which draws some sharp responses.

I’d wager if you prefaced your query in a destination forum with an admission you couldn’t be bothered searching for the answer yourself and expected long-time members to give you the shortcuts the response might be as sharp as in the Trick It thread.

I’ve found over the years how input is sought will in large part determine how it is given.