FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Island Jumping in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:25 am
NZIslander

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints GOLD
Stewart Island

With my new goal in mind, i quickly set about planning my trip around our islands. During the 10 years i lived on the islands, i took leave only 3 times. The longest holiday was only 5 days.

The first island on my list was Stewart Island, 30kms south of Bluff on the South Islands southern tip. I booked flights from Wanaka to Invercargill as i don't own a car here on the mainland, with Air New Zealand. Then i booked flights across to Stewart Island with local airline, Stewart Island Flights. With everything booked and ready to go, i organised someone to watch over my mother for the 4 days i would be gone. Her sister flew down from Wanganui to keep an eye on my mother, who needed help with cooking and cleaning. On a cold frosty morning, i hitched down to Wanaka, arriving at the Airport 3 hours early. The terminal was shut, so i walked over to the nearby museum and waited. Finnaly the terminal was opened and i checked in, just as the daily Beech 1900D flight from Christchurch touched down. I got my boarding pass and sat down to wait. I was pretty happy with the seat allocation for me. Seat 3A meant i had a primo view into the cockpit and out the window. Seats 1F, 2A and 2F have no windows in a 1900D. We took off ontime into a beautiful cloudless sky on the 55 minute journey up to Christchurch. Lakes Pukaki and Tekapo shon brightly in the winter sunlight. Aoraki/Mount Cook stood proud and mighty upon the southern alps. We landed in Christchurch ontime and in the terminal, i sat in a cafe to wait out my 55 minute transit time. In no time at all, i made my way over to the Gate and pretty much walked straight out onto the plane. I had requested Seat 6D, which would give me a good view back out over the Alps. Our Plane, an Air Nelson Bombardier Q300, was filling fast. There was only 2 spare seats by the time we began our taxi. The FA did the safety breifing and then we took off. Our crusing altitude was 16.000Ft, flight time 80minutes. Like everywhere else, the weather in Southland was stunning. An awesome day for flying. We landed at Invercargill a few minutes late, due to us having to circle once to avoid a landing GA. After i checked in with Stewart Island flights, i had 20 minutes to kill. I went over to the small cafe and ordered a Coffee. I checked my cellphone, only a recent purchase. The Chathams don't have cell coverage, so i only purchased my first cellphone, a month ago. The SIF (Stewart Island Flights) lady waved me over, and told me it was time to board. We walked out of the terminal and over to a parked Britten Norman Islander. It was tiny!!! We crammed in, with me sitting in the co-pilots seat, the Islander being able to be flown with only 1 pilot. Out on the runway, we powered up and finnaly after what seemed like forever we took off. We flew over Oreti Beach, then came Bluff, nestled around the little harbour. Then came the Fouveux Strait, a mass of angry white caps, it was really windy out here!!! Our small little plane was being buffeted by spasms of strong wind. When we finnaly reached the Island, the wind died and we could take in the stunning scenery. The rich forest covered landscape dropped down into beautiful isolated bays and waterways. Soon however we began our approach into Ryans Creek Aerodrome, Stewart Islands only airport. The airports runway only measures 800 metres, located above the Islands main settlement. We touched down onto the runway and taxied to the building that accounted for a terminal.

From Wikipedia: The aerodrome was built in the late 1970s to accommodate Stewart Island Air Services. The strip was made of the native red rock from the area. In the mid-1980s Stewart Island Air Services changed its name to Southern Air Limited. Ryan's Creek was asphalted and ready for service with its new owner. All aircraft from Stewart Island Air Services were sold (apart from an Islander IAS which crashed on the strip and an FFL which remained with Southern Air). Stewart Island Travel used Ford Transits to take passengers to and from the strip and offered bus tours of the island's roads. Southern Air Limited purchased an Islander FGR shortly afterwards which proved to be a suitable aircraft for the job. In 1990 a hill at one end of the strip was leveled; this left more room for aircraft to land, and allowed easier access to the strip. In 1997 Southern Air was brought by Allan Aitcheson, and the name was changed to Southern Air 1997 Limited. The company continued to use Ryan's Creek and remained accident-free. In 2000 Southern Air 1997 Ltd was bought by Stewart Island Flights.

In the small terminal, i collected my luggage and jumped in the shuttle, which takes passengers into Stewart Islands only settlement, Halfmoon Bay, more commonly called Oban. Stewart Islands population is 400, 80% of which live in Oban.