FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:05 pm
jaymar01

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by tcook052
Very well said! I completely agree and see the trend occur on a daily basis.

I think of the quotation "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" applies as I know FTers are a generous lot who are willing to help educate fellow members but are reticent and may react with attitude to those new arrivals who aren't willing to put forth an effort to learn even the basics and simply ask for the shortcuts or answers.
This is exactly why the Mileage Run board has become such an awful place to visit. My skin crawls when I read the "tough love" regularly dished out in the Trick it board.

Thankfully, people in places like the Destination Forums actually treat new posters with respect, and a willingness to help.

For example....you'll actually find long-time posters there explaining the nuances of the German rail system without a condescending attitude...or a directive to read the entire Die Bahn code of practices and procedures (in original German of course). Why? Because the initial poster is unfamiliar with a foreign transportation option, and is simply asking Flyertalkers for help.

Imagine that Flyertalk can work.