FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does FT "attitude" drive newbies to blogs?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:19 pm
DHAST

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by balima
I so agree with you. Almost every day there is a new thread of " help the newbie". Yes, we were all newbies, but I spent months lurking, reading, rereading before I started posting. Now, we get, " I want two tickets to Hawaii for my honeymoon in First in 6 months." So few seem to want to do the work - and it is work. Spoon feed me, give me screen shots. And OK, lets say we lay all the work out for people, they so seldom then search for answers that are already out there.
Somehow, and I have a hard time articulating this, there's a difference between a "tell me about..." and "plan my trip for me." I'm happy to tell you my opinions about anything... properties I've been to, classes of services, or anything that doesn't take much work for me.

I'm not happy to plan your trip for you for no compensation. That starts getting into consulting, and requires me to *work* (ok, you hit on that word) with you to figure out something that is feasible and that you will enjoy. And for that, I want to be compensated.

For some reason, if someone says they're HHonors Gold and SPG Gold, and want to know what their best option in BKK is, it's a question I'm willing to answer. If one starts a post that says, "I want a free week in BKK, what do I do?" well, I'm just not that interested in answering that question and will just move on. Why? It's hard to articulate, but it's how I feel.