FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need card recommendation
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 am
dd14x

Originally Posted by deltame
If you prefer straight cash back then I'd suggest (1) Fidelity Amex (2%) on all spend (2) Fidelity Visa (1.5% on first $10K spend then 2% thereafter).

You are right, most of us (at FT) enjoy miles and points far more than cash back. If you don't travel enough by air, then how about hotel points (otherwise why did you come here for input)? Chase has some popular hotel cards without foreign exchange fee, annual fee is offset by free hotel night each year (e.g., Marriott Premier Visa - $85 annual fee offset by annual cat 1-5 free night, Priority Club Visa - 80k signup; $49 annual fee offset by worldwide free night) and both comes with significant sign-on bonus points.

If you have good credit and not planning buying a house in short term, its perfectly okay to apply for several credit cards with good rewards. You need have a clear head with regards to which cards are primarily for sign-on bonus (and recycle as needed), cards to hold for certain benefits, and cards for everyday spend (aside from meeting spend requirement for those sign-on bonus cards).

Lastly, here is an existing thread on no fee cards:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ds-best-3.html

Thanks - this was helpful!
I do travel by air, just not to the level where I (initially) saw miles as being more beneficial than cashback. (in my previous post, I amended that - I will update my initial post as well).
I do have good credit, and am already mortgage on a house.

I am really not looking to recycle cards, but am looking to keep cards for certain benefits and cards for everyday use.

I will look at one of the cards you recommended - Fidelity Visa, and the chase sapphire preferred that biggestbopper and you have recommended.

Thanks again