FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United loses a 10 year old in ORD
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:32 am
DianeDakota

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by AquaDyne
Exactly. I flew UM at age 9 and my aircraft had an emergency landing en route, ultimately resulting in 6 hour delay. I did what I thought was right... told the FA that someone should call my mother. And that was the last I thought of it, and that any child should have to think of it. Turns out no one ever did, and when I did not arrive at my ultimate destination 6 hours later and frantic phone calls ensued, I was safely ensconced in the airline office in LAX. But to expect a child to do more than a one-time notification of a responsible adult providing the UM service is crazy.

And that's the key point here. Employees think that if they see the child "safe" they're keeping up their end of the bargain, but do not understand that any deviation from the "plan" ought to involve a notification of at least the responsible party for "pick up" if not others. This is a systematic failure in the procedures and should be fixed. To prevent the next lawsuit.
There absolutely should be notification but it is not the fault of the employees but management's lack of planning. Delays, misconnections, weather and mechanical issues are part of the daily business and it is a major failure to not have it covered. Parents shouldn't rely on an industry known for mess ups to keep them informed either and plan accordingly.