FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 8:39 am
rsercely

Programs: "all" airlines and hotels
only the appearance of security

3 things I have seen

two ladies in front of me, travelling together. Screener lets first lady through after examining passport. Looks at second passport - for long time - realizes that he let first lady through on second lady's passport. They had obviously "swapped" at some time during their travel. So much for verifying identities.

Saw a person INSIDE security - with collapsable hiking poles. Now the difference between these carbide tipped "weapons" and a ski pole is beyond me. Yet TSA bans ski poles. I contacted TSA about this, and they said that hiking poles are allowed. Really?

Eveyone must take off their shoes, right? Person in front of me went through with shoes on. After I cleared security, I asked to speak to a supervisor, and asked if everyone had to take of shoes. Was told yes. Pointed to the person in front of me. He said, "Well, we do make exceptions". Person in front was wearing military outfit - so obvious way to get explosives in your heels through security is just to visit army surplus first.

What a joke.

Passengers have proven that they can enforce security on board just fine. Think of the shoe and underwear bombers.

My $.02