FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixing luxe and grit in the Kruger area: info needed
Old Aug 14, 2012, 6:05 am
Cheetah_SA

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you, Johan. You are a consistent outstanding resource on Africa.

Can you please suggest an alternative to Berg-en-Dal, given my trip plans above?
Fully support the idea of a camp rather than the Protea for the second night. It just wouldn't feel authentic if you don't experience one of those, erm... basic bungalows. They have hardly changed in decades - and they were dated before that! To me it's an essential part of the bush.

I am sure you are familiar with the SANParks web site. Your decision may be determined by what is available so check the look of the camps and availability on the site.

I am not an expert on the southern camps of Kruger. But I would suggest that if possible you avoid the largest ones - especially Skukuza which is a very large and charmless camp (actually a small town). On the other hand the smaller, more desirable camps don't have as many facilities and may require self-catering. As I understand it you have a whole day to drive to your camp after your stay at Kruger Gate and then half a day to get to your luxe camp in Sabie Sands - in time for the afternoon game drive, presumably. This gives you ample time to wander quite far into the park. Satara may be pushing it for the drive back but is certainly doable - we managed Olifants to Sabie Sands without any stress. This would expose you to some variations in terrain and vegetation rather than just the rather dense bush of southern Kruger. Lower Sabie is a main camp with all amenities that I have a soft spot for and there are some nicely situated bungalows on the river. You could do a long loop to Lower Sabie via the Satara area on the first day and a more direct route back to Kruger Gate along the Sabie River on the second.

BTW I like your idea of self-drive + luxe. I've done it many times and it really works for me. Most recently, last October a group of 4 of us drove through Kruger for 5 days and then spent 2 in Sabie Sands. Bliss!