FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:15 pm
LTBoston

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I don't have any problem with the TSA. While occasionally I come across personnel who are lackadaisical in moving folks along or kind of unfriendly (though never downright rude IME), for the most part they've been pretty efficient and courteous. It's a tough job in a lot of ways, in terms of both dealing with the tedium and the sometimes impatient passengers.

I only rated the agency "somewhat effective" at preventing a terrorist attack because I think it does what it can but there are no absolute guarantees. Lots of the most effective work in preventing attacks involves intelligence to block them before anyone even gets to the airport.

Now, maybe some will take my "somewhat effective" responses as an indication that folks feel the TSA is doing a lousy job. And maybe, then, I should have checked another box. But my point here is that even the results leave lots of room for (mis)interpretation.

I'm quite surprised that I could vote more than once. This would seem to undermine whatever value the survey holds.
That is exactly how I feel. There's a huge difference between whether a policy is truly effective or whether people are effective in executing the policy.

While I think a lot of today's security theater is ineffective and always a step behind what we really ought to be doing, I've had very few negative experiences with TSA employees on the front line.