FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SFO -> MUC Business/First Award
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:01 pm
FlyerChrisK

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by jmw5430
I'm looking to travel from SFO-MUC sometime in mid-late October. Currently, there are an abundance of economy saver awards available but only 1 day in the month (10/31) has first/business saver awards available. My question is- is it likely for first/business saver awards to open up as the date becomes closer? I've heard that Lufthansa tends to release those awards ~3 weeks out (this seems to make sense as August has quite a few dates w/ business/first saver awards available).

I'm a little nervous about waiting too long to book a flight as it could get pricey, especially around Oktoberfest. However I'm willing to risk it if seems likely for awards to be released.

Any help is appreciated!
Yes. As the travel date approaches, revenue/inventory management can be more confident about the number of seats which will go unsold (and can release more as awards). That said, it is not a certainty that more award seats (or any!) will be available on any particular flight. If you absolutely must travel, you need to be prepared to accept the consequences if award space doesn't open up (e.g., flying in coach on an award, booking a revenue ticket, etc.)