FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have you ever seen TSA workers outside of the airport?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:25 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Back in 2010 I had dinner at an Outback Steakhouse, and the folks at the next table were close enough that I could hear their whole conversation without eavesdropping. It was a TSO and her mother, having a nice social dinner together. When I realized that she was a TSO, I stuck up a civil conversation with her and found out that she was an LTSO from DCA. We particularly discussed the despicable violations of scope and grope, which were still fairly new at the time. I shot down every argument she made - in a polite, friendly, non-confrontational manner, using info I've learned from FT. I never mentioned FT, however; I have heard that some TSOs recognize the site's name and immediately get confrontational when they find out you're a member here, and I didn't want to test that.

It turned out to be a pleasant encounter. I don't think I convinced her of anything; she was most definitely an AFS type. But I think I may have made her think a little more analytically about the carp she was being asked to foist upon the innocent traveler, and maybe that was the beginning of wisdom for her. We can only hope.