FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:23 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tinystarr
$7,500 in 6 months is very high for me.
Check the T&Cs and the card you receive, if you apply, carefully by the way. As several posts earlier in this thread confirm, it's possible Bank of America may issue you a lesser card (to get the full bonus, you need the Visa Signature and there are two other "consolation" prize cards that you might get instead). If you get a lesser card, you DO NOT qualify for the 15K extra offer that requires the $7500 spend. If you don't look carefully at the card you receive, you could earn as few as 4000 AS miles, even if you assume the $7500 spend in six months would get you an extra 15K miles.

In addition, the T&Cs seem pretty clear, this is for first-time customers only. So, if you apply for this offer and are relatively uncreditworthy, you could get doubly screwed. Shunted to a miserable rewards card and disqualified in the future if your credit is lousy now but might be better in a year or two when you'd easily qualify for a much higher spend bonus.

In other words, you could apply and receive as few as 4K AS miles while being shut out of future offers over 25K where this exclusion would apply. Not a good use of a credit pull. OK for me because I have a good credit history.