FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:21 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FatherAbraham
so they went ahead and scanned you anyways and subsequently you received a grope because they claim there were anomalies?
I usually avoid the experience at PHX T2. I am physically incapable of assuming and holding the NoS position - when I explain this when I get directed to the NoS, I always get told that makes me an 'opt-out'. That means I have to struggle to keep sight of my bags while waiting for a grope and swab.

I was hurried and stressed and distracted at PHX T2. I have learned to avoid this experience somewhat. When I'm directed to the NoS, I don't argue, I just go and stand in place. When I'm directed to assume the position, then I explain that I'm unable to do so. There's always a TSO on the other side of the NoS ready to resolve any anomalies. In my case, because I can't assume the position, there's no scan - my entire body is an anomaly and I get a full grope.

The difference between the two approaches? If I explain ahead of time that I am unable to assume the position, I struggle to see my bags, I have to wait (sometimes, not always, for up to 10 minutes) for my grope, and I always get swabbed (another slight delay). Sometimes I even get a gratuitous bag search.

If I do not explain ahead of time that I'm unable to assume the position, and I wait until I'm in the NoS, I get an immediate grope, better chances of keeping an eye on my bags, no swab, and, to date, no extra bag check.