FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Whole Body Scanners Opt Out Stories [merged]
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:34 am
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FatherAbraham
I had the same experience at Houston Hobby.
Lucky you.

PHX T2, a month ago. I was directed to the NoS. Running late, I explained that I'm physically unable to assume and hold the position. TSO told me (as usual) that I'm an 'opt-out'. I explained that I was NOT opting out, I was incapable of assuming the position. TSO said "if you choose not to use the scanner, you're an opt-out, full-body patdown, all parts of body, may have to wait, bla-bla".

Generally, I just go into the NoS when I'm directed to do so (which seems to be always ). When the NoS monitor tells me to assume the position, I explain that I can't. They're not happy about it, but it does result in an expedited grope because there's always someone standing there to perform post-NoS anomaly-resolution gropes.

It's faster than the forced 'opt-out' because I never have to wait for a TSO specially dedicated to perform opt-out gropes. Also, for some odd reason, the post-NoS immediate grope is never accompanied by a swab test (and the involuntary opt-out grope generally is).