FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:11 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
Let me see if I can help with the non-US ones, although that's just couple.

1. What was the first non-U.S. airline to launch a new Boeing aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it?
The Boeing 737, with Lufthansa. Part of the problem of being first, this was for the 737-100, which was then rapidly supplanted by the larger -200 model, and Lufthansa ended up with an orphan fleet of the smaller aircraft, which they prematurely had to replace. Moral, there are downsides to being first.
Correct! Kudos go to tonywestsider for mentioning this a couple back, but further color commentary is always welcome and you, WHBM are a great resource in that regard. Thank you.

7. What was the first airline to order and operate the Boeing 747F (The first 747 built as a freighter from the beginning of its production)
This was Air France, for quite some time they were the only operator.
According to THIS SITE, it was Seaboard World Airlines. Further elucidation by anyone would indeed be appreciated...

8. At least three airlines have marketed their aircraft as “Starliners”. One was foreign and two of them American. Name the airlines and the aircraft so marketed.
The foreign one was British South American Airways, in business 1946-50. There's a complete list of their long-forgotten aircraft types here, almost all being by UK Manchester-based manufacturer Avro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...erican_Airways

BSAA is a fascinating little study (there was a recent book about them published recently), who never seemed to succeed but nevertheless operated halfway round the world. The aircraft overall were called Starliners, every one had an individual Star xxx name, the stewardesses were Stargirls, etc.

I was unaware of BSAA calling their aircraft "Starliners" though the evidence you submit indicates they were indeed named after stars. So, we'll go ahead and count them and that means there were still at least three other airlines, including one foreign one, that referred to its aircraft as "Starliners"

13. This airline operated the only daily nonstop 747 service between Washington Dulles and Chicago.

My guess is that this was Northwest, a 747 routing New York JFK-Washington-Chicago-Tokyo.
Excellent call, Sir. It was indeed a Northwest "Red Tail" operating as Flight 003.