FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:23 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tonywestsider:

1. What was the first non-U.S. airline to launch a new Boeing aircraft? What kind of aircraft was it?

Lufthansa. Launch customer for the Boeing 737-100
Sie sind richtig, Herr Tony!

5. What was the first U.S. regional airline to inaugurate jet aircraft service? What kind of aircraft was it?

Mohawk Airlines. In 1965, they were the first US regional airline to inaugurate jet service using BAC One-Elevens.
Yes Sir! Correct on both counts!

For you timetable aficionados, the following questions are based upon schedules from the October 15, 1981 OAG. I reckon any diligent OAG readers should be able to come up with a good guess if not the correct answer right off the top of their heads.

13. This airline operated the only daily nonstop 747 service between Washington Dulles and Chicago.

I'm guessing this is United.
Sorry, guess again...

17. This airline offered nonstop single class service aboard a DC-10 between Honolulu and Los Angeles.

I'm guessing this is World Airways operating single class DC-10s.
Good guess! I flew on a World DC-10-30 from LAX to OAK back in 1980. One hour was enough on that plane! The seating was 3-4-3 and less comfortable than a Greyhound bus. Some of you may recall that when the DC-10 and L-1011 were introduced by most U.S. carriers in the early 1970s, they both offered spacious 2-4-2 seating.