FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Aug 9, 2012, 9:37 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hi John! Welcome to the quiz! I saw the Cubbies play the Cards at Wrigley once. Great game and the Cubs won! Hohhhly Cow! As to the questions and answers...

3. This Midwestern airline ordered two 737-200C and one 737-200. Had it taken delivery of any of these aircraft (it never did), it would have been the first airline to operate the 737-200 Combi.

Wouldn't this one be Ozark?????
No, Ozark operated DC-9s. They did eventually place an order with Boeing but it (not a 737) also was never taken up.

4. Which airline was instead the launch customer for the 737-200 Combi?

Wien Air Alaska
Correct!

6. Which U.S. airline named its jets “Vista Jets”?

Allegheny
Right on!

9. Which U.S. Airline was known as the “Airline Of The Stars”?

I THINK this one is National Airlines
I think you're right!

10. What was the first U.S. airline to sell tickets on the web in 1995 and the first to introduce web check-in, in September 1999?

Alaska Airlines
Excellent answer!

For you timetable aficionados, the following questions are based upon schedules from the October 15, 1981 OAG. I reckon any diligent OAG readers should be able to come up with a good guess if not the correct answer right off the top of their heads.

11. This was the only airline offering nonstop service between New Orleans and Cleveland.

Wouldn't this one be United?
Back in the early 1970s it likely would have been but in the 1980s United started to scale back its hub at Cleveland and as of the 11/15/81 schedules the airline operating this flight was was a different, much smaller airline.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:26 am Reason: quote]