FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gold Guest Upgrades expiration date rules
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:28 pm
pdxasflyer

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BOB W
I believe that you would use the code (non-reusable) and would need to call and request a new code if you did this. Not sure it's worth the hassle.
Agreed. It seems like it would be much simpler to spell it out more clearly on the website, which makes precisely zero mention of expiration dates.

After a discussion at home last night, we have since recalled a situation where we provided a family member with a paper F upgrade certificate. Her itinerary saddled the new year (outbound prior to 12/31 expiration, and return afterwards). When making the reservation online with the phone rep and after giving the code, she indicated it could not be used for the return portion. Thus, I'm not sure how you were able to do it, since you had to phone in. Every time I did so, the agent always asked me for the code (which contained the expiry date), and all but twice was I actually asked for the paper cert itself.

As such, I'm 98% resigned to the expiration date being a 'travel by' date, not a 'use by' date.