FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Jet and the Star Alliance. Will they / Won't they?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:00 am
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Yes, I know this.

I understand that they have "practically said no" - but is that a formal rejection?
The article kicks a lot of dust with little information, which seems to be typical of Indian journalists today. "Exclusive club" The only news in the article is
Originally Posted by BS
“To be part of the alliance, every member has to agree and that has not happened, especially after the pilots’ strike, when we lost a lot of credibility. They have practically said no and have sent us a letter last week. We have asked Air India to look for other options and alliances.”
I would like to know what the letter says.

I understand that if AI is formally rejected, then they might be entitled to getting their joining fees (60+ crores) back, etc. etc. In contrast, if they withdraw, they are forfeiting all of that. And, as long as they don't withdraw, their application is still "pending," so 9W cannot join.
The amount is not something that wll make or break AI. it's already broken and money is the only thing that's needed to make it better.
The only barrier to 9W joining the alliance is GoA's stance, which they can change. But why?
*A may want AI to withdraw, but why would AI want to play along?
That, I agree with.
For some reason, Indian flyers, airlines and officials. all consider *A , not just better, but also prestigious. It's a status thing. Being admitted to "exclusive club" is a matter of pride. It's ridiculous that people who are supposed to be running a business are emotionally handicapped with this obsession with "status". Regardless of duplicity on LH's part, it's time to move on.
Let Jet join the alliance. Make LH pay. jet will find out that *A is not the prize it (former) thinks it (latter) was. If GoI has a backbone, LH might come to regret the game it played. There was no reason to grant favours to LH. This entire episode smells so Indian. You need or want something, find an inside connection, bribe if you have to, never mind about meeting the requirements. Bribing LH was the easiest way to get into "the exclusive club". Bribes are not refundable. Fees are insignificant. There is no reason the GoI has to keep on giving.