FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 52,000 Avios for Amex Plat sign-up!
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2012, 12:25 pm
larryflyer

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Priority Plus - really valid for THREE years?

Just received my Priority Pass membership card, "as a valued American Express Platinum Member". Mrs LF got exactly the same package, with no mention that she was a supplementary Amex cardholder, rather than principal.

Covering letters say each of us is entitled to free lounge visits for "you and one guest". IIRC, inclusion of a guest is the recently 'enhanced' (genuine, not BA-style) benefit recently introduced.

Best of all, expiry date on the membership cards (and confirmed when logging on to the Priority Pass website) is THREE YEARS away.

Funny thing is, I sent in the application for the free Priority Pass cards weeks, or more likely months ago (certainly so long ago that I can't remember!) - and now (within the last couple of weeks) I've just cancelled the Amex Platinum Card once the new increased (£450) annual fee appeared.

Does anyone know if the Priority Pass membership will be terminated, now the underlying Amex Platinum has been cancelled? I'm guessing that is most likely to occur if I took any "additional" guests into a lounge, causing the £15 "guest fee" to be charged automatically to my (now cancelled) Amex card.

But what about "free visits" by myself or Mrs LF? How do these work - do Priority Pass somehow bill Amex (who then absorb the cost, rather than charging me), or will I stay "under the radar" for the next 3 years?

[Not COMPLETELY off-topic - if there's a chance of getting THREE years lounge access for ONE Amex Platinum anuual fee (which can be further reduced by cancelling the Amex card and getting a pro-rata refund) some people might feel that tips the balance in favour of applying.]