FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is outlook.com a game changer?
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2012, 6:21 pm
quick_dry

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by msb0b
Office 365 is Microsoft's hosted cloud services. It's been a while since I looked into it, but two things turned me off to them: 1. There is no free basic level service, and 2. Microsoft requires you to delegate your domain's DNS to their name servers.
be careful to read the fine print if you send lots of emails - this won't impact much on personal accounts, but if you also have some automated processes that make heavy use of email you can get caught (as happened to whoever signed up a certain global company I may be familiar with, leading to conference calls into the wee hours of the morning and much gnashing of teeth )

- 30 outbound emails per minute
- 500 or 1500 emails per rolling 24 hr period (number depends on how much you pay, a couple of accounts on a large enterprise can be upgraded to 6000)
- various throttling limits on connection count, CPU time, authentication time (if setup to use your own Active Directory, not theirs).
- sending is slow, the solution was to receive via 365 and send via internal SMTP server. (lucky 'the cloud' would save us? )

O365 is also drastically slower than the older BPOS when it comes to sending and receiving messages, the BPOS connector sucked - but the email service was at least fast and not throttled back.