FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why No TailCams on BA Aircraft? Is It Something People Enjoy?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:18 am
BicesterTerrier

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
We have them on Bling Air. On the 777, one forward and one facing the ground. On the A380, one in the tail and then the same forward and downward facing.

On a recent trip to AKL, I had the forward camera going as we were coming into land and I swear, I thought the pilot was going to ditch the thing into the water, due to the crosswind. I was clutching the bottle of Dom with both hands, and I might have let the odd profanity let rip...

They're not the camera's which provide the crew the entertainment though. It's the ones mounted at the rear ceiling of the F cabin and throughout the J cabin that could make a highlight reel for the next SexPo in Vegas...
Once flew Bling Air to NBO (I was young and foolish, I am sorry), as we got closer to the ground I noticed on the screen there was no sign of the runway, I looked out of the window and it was right there, the cross winds had us coming in at a right old jaunty angle.

Maybe someone else can confirm this next point. I am sure that the downward facing cameras on Bling Air (early 2000's) had a "zoom" of some sort. I recall having had a few drinks in the airport, a few more on the flight and then watching the downward facing camera as we flow over some place that you could see lights on (street lights?), anyway, they suddenly got a lot closer, I thought we were falling out of the sky. As I was in Y the screen was so close to me that I didn't have many other reference points in the cabin.