FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maestro's Europe Trip - Newbie here.. Please be Patient
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:44 pm
BadgerBoi

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by exbayern
I'm sorry that you are having a lot of disappointments, but I will have to respectfully disagree with one of my buddies on this thread and say that a lot of what you list as 'negatives' could indeed have been avoided with some advance planning or reading.
I graciously accept your disagreement with my comments and concede that many mistakes could have been avoided. I guess that I was concentrating on a small number of aspects, for example the snafu with the Olympics tickets. I was also overwhelmed by the length of his post (and the fact that, so far, Mrs AM appears not to have murdered him. She must be a wonderful woman - please, OP accept this comment as a joke!)

Thinking more about AM's long post, a couple of things did puzzle me. The adaptor, for example. I never travel outside my own country without at least two of these suitable for the country/countries that I'll be visiting. Maybe the OP didn't realise that Canadian plugs aren't universal? It's common for North Americans not to realise that a lot of things are not the same away from their continent (Canadians usually, but not always, somewhat more aware than their neighbours from the south).

I'm staggered by the amount of money that AM paid for the snacks in Venice. Whether he means euros, Canadian dollars, US dollars, or these newfangled "eurodollars" that I'm hearing about on this thread, that is an astonishing amount to pay.

A lot of the OP's trip is outside of my experience. Never traveled with kids so before this thread I wouldn't have known about limits on rooms (I would have made it clear when i booked how many people we were exactly, kids and adults). I've (almost) never had credit card problems as my cards are all PIN/chip, and I don't drive.

OP is doing a few things that I wouldn't do, such as the Sound of Music tour, and things that I've done once but would never do again (Tour Eiffel, Versailles). I do enjoy DLP and have been a couple of times, and would happily go again if I could convince someone to come with me. I wouldn't stay at the Park, one day would be enough for me and I wouldn't have kids so the character stuff isn't of interest.

As for lines to attractions, I try to look online to see what I can book and pay for before I leave home. If your hotels will let you have access to a printer you might save a few euros/pounds and save time in lines. Long lines are awful for kids.

OP has been given a lot of good advice in this thread, and Exbayern has provided a really good summary of some important points in her latest post. I hope the OP, now that he is there and knows what it's like, will revisit the advice and follow some more of it.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the trip, negatives and positives, and of course more opinions from members of the little family who have added to this thread over the many months it's been on FT. I'm sure everybody here wants your trip to be successful and happy, and something to look back on with enjoyment in the years to come.