FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 fascinating facts about the new UA
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:24 pm
N1120A

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by char777
I think this is fascinating. If I'm reading this correctly, then this means that...PMUA was planning on axing E+? Seeing now that DL and AA (and I guess you could say CO as well) are adopting it, I'm surprised.
I don't believe for a second that pmUA was going to ditch E+. It was in the early days of the merger that both E+ and FTFD were on the chopping block.

Originally Posted by edcho
Yes -- before the merger, PMUA was going to ditch E+.
I doubt that. They had already profitably monetized it when they kicked out non-UA elites and started charging.

Originally Posted by IL-18
Don't know about other airlines, but I believe United always had this rule. Over the years I was late a few times, and always was accommodated on a later flight without any fees.
Yes, pmUA always had a 3 hour flat tire rule that applied uniformly, though you had to speak to an agent and push it if you weren't an elite.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Please, no need to call people names. i am not dense and hardly selfish. If E+ was eliminated seating space throughout the plane could be equalized. A bit more for those currently in standard E and a bit less for those in E+ thus being more fair for everyone. Likewise, it might also permit a tad more customers aboard which would both allow for decreased fares (greater supply of seats) increased fuel efficency (more profit for airline) better usage of limited natural resources, and decreased per passenger polution (a plus for everyone).

I am glad that you feel comfortable. It was not the space that was funny feeling, it was the inequality of it. I feel sorry for ther 6'5" person in the rear. Don't you? Why should one 6'5" person have more space than another? Because s/he flies more or has more money? That's just not right.

NK does not fly to the desinations that I do. And there are plenty of other reasons I preferred PMCO to PMUA -- friendly staff, their hubs (EWR over IAD; CLE over ORD; though DEN is better than IAH), a personal better experience with IRROPS on PMCO than on PMUA, meals in economy (until SMI/J), easier to use website than .bomb. But now there is no more PMCO nor PMUA, only UA so we all must adopt.
pmUA had friendlier staff, much better IRROPS handling and a far less complicated website (I do prefer some of the functionality of the pmCO website, but its much more cluttered and complicated to use).

As for axing E+ and "equalizing", you must be trolling at this point. E+ is both a product that pmUA successfully monetized and used to keep elites loyal. E+ arguably became MORE important after the introduction of UDU, because 2Ps and even 1Ps saw their upgrade rates drop.