FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 5 fascinating facts about the new UA
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:38 pm
Indelaware

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Seriously? You couldn't imagine why anyone would be willing to spend $$ for extra legroom on a US carrier's Y product?

Thanks for the laugh - that was one of the funnier comments I've seen in the UA thread (which is saying a lot)!
Yes, seriously. Its one reason that I flew CO before the merger rather than UA. Whenever I flew UA, I'd feel funny having so much space for my knees.

I suppose a person with longer legs than I might pay extra money; but as a rule I disdain giving airlines revenue. I think if the airlines simply stopped seats from reclining it would help a great deal. May also save save some $$ in purchasing seats.

Originally Posted by docbert
Given the loads on most flight now days, relying on the flat tire rule to get you onto a later flight is in most cases insanity. It's still a good backup in case you really do get a "flat tire", but given the improvements made to same-day changes (even with the corresponding fee) it's a much better option than rolling the dice by "abusing" the flat tire rule.

Exactly! Personally I can't understand why people would spend $$$ on C and F - especially international - so I think it's stupid that they don't kill off those cabins too!!!
Obviously the airlines have found, like P.T. Barnum, that there is a sucker born every minute. There are so many better things to spend money on than tickets to fly up front. Sure, if it is free, but to pay for it: never!

Originally Posted by mitchmu
It seems like the CO grading system is a lot different from the UA system. With UA, I never once had a delayed international flight. While part of that is good luck, I always believed they gave higher priority to those as well, because the perfect on time rate could not be explained by luck alone. Now, under CO, international delays and cancellations are horrific. For example, SFO to FRA has a 50% on time rating on Expert Flyer. Makes me wonder if they now give higher priority to domestic short hops. That matches with the overall hostility towards frequent flyers since we fly more long haul than the kettles who they are focused on attracting.
Premerger, I never had a late or cancelled CO flight - except weather related (volcano, anyone?). Clearly UA is having their share of problems these days. Everyday there are cancellations, but I would be interested to see the statistics as % of flights scheduled rather than raw number of flights cancelled.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm Reason: 3X Multi-quote combo