FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination at Dubai Hotel. What should I do? Who is right?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:57 pm
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Sheesh. This is bogus -- any hotel will let a man and a woman check in together as long as they both provide ID. (Well, there are certain local hotels, not international chains, that cater to Gulf Arabs, but I doubt that even they would bar you.)

The booking site gave you information -- if that is the first e-mail that you cite -- that is complete bunk. To the extent that sharia law applies in the UAE, it only applies to Muslims. If you got your information from somewhere else, I'd like to hear where.

You have nothing to worry about. In the unlikely event that the front desk challenges you, just say she's your wife. They would never know the difference.

Notwithstanding the above, I find your attempt to cite Canadian law pretty offensive and arrogant, however. If you visit another country, you abide by their laws -- are you really thinking that just because you're paying with a Canadian issued credit card, Canadian law applies? If "medical marijuana" is legal in California, does that mean that if you check into a hotel in Dubai paid with a California-issued credit card, you can be allowed to bring your marijuana even if it's against the law in the UAE? If prostitution is legal in Germany, can you stay in a hotel room in the U.S.A., paid with your German credit card, and legally engage in prostitution? The fact is (although it won't affect you in your case -- and even if they did bar unmarried guests of the opposite sex, that would not constitute discrimination against women), it's not unlawful to discriminate in public accommodation in some countries, including the UAE. If you travel outside Canada, you will have to get used to it.