FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:36 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Lisa40403
I have issues with IHG concerning this. I never fully checked the T&C, also got two confirmed free nights in one month. These claims were accepted almost 8 months ago. Today, I filed for another claim. It was approved, but in a separate email I was informed that they realized that they made a mistake by accepting the second free night in one month.

They also told me that the free night was forfeited!

I find this quite strange. They forgot to properly check when I made the claim (I booked both with same name, address and my Priority Club number on file, so did not try to hide anything), now realized this after more than half a year and now simply tell me that the free night is voided.

Should I accept this?
Originally Posted by nacho
Do you have a choice? Both you and them made a honest mistake, and you did violate their T&C.
honestly - it shouldn't be up to the passenger to check the fine print regarding this. If they accepted it then I believe you have a case.

Would I be spending $$ to get a lawyer to fight it for me? No. But I think, if you can be bothered, a letter to a regulatory authority would not go astray.

The free night guarantee is so riddled with get-out clauses for IHG it is essentially meaningless in many cases.

While I can understand matching cancellation policies etc, there are some terms and conditions - such as the 'one per month' and the 'must be in same currency' which I think are dishonest - regardless of what the Ts and Cs say.

In the latter two (one per month and same currency) you have actually found the night cheaper, and the guarantee should be honoured.

I can understand that they want to control multiple back to back free nights - a person who did that might not be playing by the rules. But if you have found different hotels, even a day apart, then they should honour it.