FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott FB post, August 1, 2012
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:32 pm
maggiew

Originally Posted by Thisisit123
It is the replacement for the BOGO benefit. Trust me when I say that it is nothing like the BOGO benefit they took away last year. Also, they may be announcing some of the other "enhancements," that will be implemented March 1, 2013, must of which aren't going to make elites very happy. For example, I heard they will be offering Gold & Plats the option of taking breakfast in the restaurant at check-in (still Mon thru Fri only). However, the guaranteed lounge access benefit will no longer be available to Gold Elites!
If they take away lounge access, what is the benefit of becoming Gold then??

I am not a business traveler. It was difficult for me to become Gold. If Golds lose lounge access, I am done with Marriotts. I have often stayed at a Marriott when it was less convenient, etc. so that I could get enough days. I also changed my credit card from a Disney rewards card to the Marriott rewards card to help with the number of days. I will be cancelling my Marriott card too.

DH recently applied for (and received) the Ritz Carlton rewards card. Part of the benefit of the card is the automatic Gold status with Marriott (provided you spend the $$$ on the card over the course of the year). No way will the benefits of the card be worth the annual fee if they take away the lounge access for Gold. I might have to cancel that one too just on principle.

Maggie