FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Traveling beyond your means on miles and points
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:45 pm
Apieinthesky

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
OK, since you ain't ADK, Jr. how the heck are you bagging these miles? I would have assumed you are just out of college with a low credit score, but do tell! You were in diapers for the pudding game, you also seem a might young to have minted miles and too undercapitalized to have a large scale paper recycling operation. What are you doing - BITS mileage runs? Can you loan your long lost uncle Aloha 50k, too.
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I'm 22 years old and have earned over 100,000 FF miles between AA & UA just in the year 2012. In the last two years I've made two trips to South America (spent 5 months there total), two trips to Hawaii (second trip to Hawaii was all first class), a two week trip to Sydney, Australia (business class upgrade on the flight back-best flight of my life, I think MSRP one way was about $15,000, rumor mill went crazy after that one) andddddd i just booked a trip to Turkey, open jaw flying home from Paris after new years 2012/2013. If it is hard explaining the points rich cash poor concept to somebody as a 40 year old, try explaining it as a 22 year old. Nobody understands. My uncle honestly asked to borrow $50K from me a few months ago. It is really funny to me, most of the time I just let people draw their own conclusions. It is fun. Earn em and burn em baby!
ADK, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Getting 100,000 miles in a year, while significant, is not at all undoable. A simple two credit card sign up bonuses will get you there without any flying at all. While certainly impressive to the average person, we are on FT, where most of us are not average in these matters, and you should not assume such based on someone's age. I am a college student, under 20, and scored 50k miles with the UA MP card. Missed the AA Citi cards, but going on a MR later this year that will net me 25k AA miles, both without the knowledge of my parents. This isn't including any of my other flying I've done or will do. My FICO score is in the 770s (Though I will admit I'm not sure exactly why this is). I always pay off my balances in full, and often will pay for others on my CC and get reimbursed. I probably make a good income compared to the average college student, but it's likely what many of you make in a month. I absolutely love traveling and don't mind flying BIS. Who says young people can't get into the game? Especially with the Internet, it's so easy to get information.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Jul 31, 2012 at 9:55 pm