FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 6 hour layover in LHR this week... is it crazy to go out to see things?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:55 am
lhrsfo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by alphatarget1
Well, I have always wanted to go to London to see the Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, and a few other places. Thanks for the advice everyone! We'll see if there are any delays inbound and adjust plans accordingly- maybe it IS easier to just stay in the airport.

Flying from the U.S. by the way.
I think six hours is very doable and, in my book, better than sitting doing nothing in an airport. Take the Piccadilly Line straight from Heathrow to Hyde Park Corner (about 55 minutes). Walk down Birdcage Walk to Buckingham Palace, up the Mall to Trafalgar Square and down Whitehall to Parliament and Big Ben. There, get on the tube at Westminster and take the District Line to Hammersmith and walk across the platform to the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow (about 1 hour). Your walk, with a couple of stops for photos and assuming you are not in a race, should take no more than an hour, leaving you time for a cup of coffee and a sandwich somewhere on the way.

However, if you are doing this during the Olympics it will be more difficult as the Mall and Admiralty Arch may need circumnavigating because of the Beach Volleyball.