FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can the TB revisit the Commercial links in Signatures issue?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:54 am
kokonutz
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Markie
Is it possible to limit sigs to appear in just one forum?
No, which is why I believe they ought to be in full conformance with the TOS.

It is ok to talk about abortion in O/PR, but it does not serve the community well to allow abortion talk in sigs, which also appear in airline forums, hotel forums, etc. It's distracts from the core function of FT, the altruistic sharing of points, travel and miles knowledge.

By the same token, it should be ok to promote your commercial venture in a commercial forum but not in sigs, which also appear in airline forums, hotel forums, etc. It distracts from the core function of FT, the altruistic sharing of points, travel and miles knowledge..

Originally Posted by Jenbel

What is the benefit of banning commercial sigs?

I've never asked a question of a TB, some of which members seem SOOO determined to act, but who cannot actually identify a benefit for the course of action they seem determined to pursue. This is just not logical that some members seem determined on a course for something they cannot actually describe a benefit for Surely it's not much to ask that you can describe the benefit to us, the members you represent, before you actually make a change which negatively impacts on members using commericial links and on the mods you expect to enforce the change you make.
I have answered that question twice now (including once in the post that you selectively quote in your post!):
Originally Posted by kokonutz
And to me, best practices are typically simple and consistent. I would think that any moderator would agree with that notion, as simple and consistent practices are the easiest to enforce.

As you say, FT is primarily about sharing travel information altruistically, so keeping sigs on-topic related to travel or personal (like a quote, etc), non-commercial, non-political and in conformance with the TOS seems like a simple and consistent best practice.

Giving posters a forum to flog their books or plumbing skillz or their drop shipping web site seems to me like a good way to build community. Yes, rules to keep spam out will be required. But with post minimum to play, that is easily overcome.

There is no reason that FTers cannot have their cake (tos enforcement applied consistently) and eat it too (have a proper and well defined place to be commercial with each other, provide commercial links, etc).

And mods can tell those who wish to be commercial in their sigs or posts or profiles or anywhere else that such activity is welcome on FT, but only in the proper forum.
Originally Posted by kokonutz

FT's core function is points, miles and travel.

We keep it that way by letting folks go off topic (and somewhat off-TOS) in specific forums. This proposal (creating a commercial forum but enforcing the TOS in sigs) follows that model.