FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My First TR: Burma at a Glance via Myanmar Airways (8M) and Yangon Airways
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:29 am
bonsaisai

Programs: TK Elite+, OZ Diamond, CX Silver
My First TR: Burma at a Glance via Myanmar Airways (8M) and Yangon Airways

My First TR: Burma at a Glance via Myanmar Airways (8M) SIN-RGN and Yangon Airways RGN-Bagan-Mandalay-RGN

Living (or more accurately, surviving) in Vietnam through the 1980s, I feel compassionate to the blight of the Burmese people. Vietnam back then, just like Burma until recently, was as isolated as it could be, struggling under foreign sanctions and domestic economic mismanagement. I wanted to go to Burma and see for myself. Hence, this TR.

There are a few TRs about Burma but the flights are with either TG or MI. I’m glad I’m contributing something different. And I even flew in Y with 8M to boot. So I’m sorry there won’t be any obligatory pictures of me parading through dedicated check-in counters, the business lounge, the food spread, the bulky seats, and of course, the much anticipated feast/gluttony at 35,000 feet. To compensate, I selected a few pictures of Burma to include in this TR for your viewing pleasure. I hope you can see for yourself the country's beauty through its daily rhythm of life. Even in poverty and under oppression, there’s charm, grace, and love everywhere you look. Those are just some snapshots.

I hope you wouldn’t mind clicking HERE to see the TR on my FB. It's a slide show with commentaries that are informative, funny, and sometimes downright irreverent. Feel free to comment and/or make a friend request. Just tell me that you’re from FT so I’d know.

So, thanks for reading my first ever TR.

--tim

P.S. I took all the pictures with a teeny weeny Lumix LX5. I’d like to be as discreet as possible when taking pictures of people in public. I’m neither big nor strong nor a fast runner; I don’t want people to get angry and chase after me. I guess the quality of the pictures would have to be sacrificed. And hopefully, just a little bit.