FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:54 am
mtkeller

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by michael_v
But how was delta.dumb able to find KE flights? Sorry for so many questions.
DL.dumb didn't find them. I had agents put the whole thing on hold. The exact sequence was:
  • Hold NRT-ATL for seven days (awards originating in Asia can be held online for seven days)
  • Call in to have PVG-NRT and ATL-OMA added. Tried to add HKG-PVG on MU, but the flight I wanted that showed available in EF was not something the agent could acquire. Proceeded to ask about LAX-ICN-AKL and agent said LAX-ICN (KE18, the A380 flight) was not available. Thanked her and had award held while I considered options.
  • Called again and asked agent to check the KE flight again. She finds the space. Proceed to add OMA-SLC-LAX-ICN-AKL and agent finds an MU HKG-PVG flight she can get. Quoted 435K miles, then 390K, and then I need to go, so we keep it on hold. I can see all eight flights on DL.dumb.
  • Agent later in the day gets things down to 230K by pulling the enhanced elite availability in Y on OMA-SLC, but can't beat 230K (and won't call rates desk since she's been booking SkyMiles tickets for 14 years).
  • Agent starts and call semi-drops, with me being routed to another (I suspect non-elite) agent. Agent quotes me 310K and can't get anything better.
  • I realize hold time is now down to about zero, so I see what DL.dumb prices it at, and it gives me 135K + $700+ in taxes/fees.