FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:55 am
mtkeller

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by michael_v
I understand that 135k is the required number of miles at low level, my question was how was mtkeller able to convince the agent to price it as such, given that he/she started at 435k.
I never found an agent who could do it. I just clicked the Redeem button on DL.dumb, assuming I'd be amused/appalled to see how many miles DL.dumb wanted. Instead, DL.dumb gave me the proper 135K miles that no agent could come up with. This is the first instance I can think of where DL.dumb was able to price something properly that an agent couldn't. The only thing I can think of where an agent might have been involved was that my last call started with one agent who put me on hold. A few minutes later, there was a ring on the line and I started over with a new agent. Maybe, just maybe, that first agent who I lost did something behind the scenes to set the award level to 135K.

I think the big discover in all this is that there is a way for agents to see the pricing breakdown before ticketing, as I had an agent who told me exactly what was being charged for each portion. However, it seems not all agents were able/willing to do this. Still haven't had time to call about the taxes/fees. Hope to do that tomorrow.