FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points / Stay Credit Eligibility for Third Party Bookings
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:38 am
perplexed

Hi and thanks again for reverting todorovic. I'm still not getting it though. I've read and re-read the T&C, including the bits you've quoted, both before contacting Hyatt, then posting here and since. I wouldn't be querying if I hadn't.

My point is this:

- From the bits you have quoted (and also clause 3 in the same section), eligibility is defined by reference to three things - (1) who is the registered guest, (2) what rate was paid for the room, and (3) who paid that rate (clause 3 requires the "bill" - not defined as the Hyatt bill - for the charges to be in the member's name and paid personally by the member).

- There is no argument/doubt that I was the registered guest.

- There is/can be no argument that the (3rd party or otherwise) bill for the charges that I paid was in my name and that I personally paid that bill; i.e. the room rate. There is nothing in the T&C that say that the bill I pay must be a Hyatt bill or that the room rate I pay must be paid direct to Hyatt and based on the definition of eligibility whose focus is on the rate paid not the booking method (see below), there is in my view no basis/reason to imply those "conditions" into the T&C.

- So that means that the refusal to credit me for the stay seems to be based on a refusal to acknowledge that the rate I paid was an "Eligible Rate".

- "Eligible Rate" is defined to include any hotel published room rate including, but not limited to rates found on Hyatt.com etc. So, when determining whether or not the rate I paid is an eligible rate, the key factor is the rate paid (i.e. it must be any hotel published room rate). From the underlined wording it is clear that where that rate is found is not relevant (i.e. it is not limited to hotel published room rates found only on/through Hyatt direct). Why use this "non limitation" wording if the intent is to limit eligibility to stays booked through Hyatt/exclude stays booked in other ways.

- I paid a "hotel published room rate" (i.e. the rate I paid - to Thomas Cook - was the same rate, described in the same way, as the rate found on Hyatt.com).

- "Ineligible Rates" are in contrast defined as discounted rates.; that is, what is key in determining eligibility is once again the rate paid, not where the rate is found or how/through whom the booking is made. If the rate I paid had been a discounted rate, then clearly I would not be entitled to have my stay credited.

So my quest to understand continues.... Ultimately, if Hyatt wants to exclude all 3rd party bookings, then like Hilton's T&C, the T&C could easily say that in far fewer, clearer and hence fairer clauses.