FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:24 pm
poverty.jet.set

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

I have an itin ($1,050; 25,436 miles) I booked today which is YYZ-IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG-SIN and vice versa (booked in K class, so all segments except HNL-GUM and vice versa should be upgradable with RPUs, and by extension, GPUs)

But when I look at upgrading online using instruments, it's breaking up my itin into 2 upgradeable segments each way: YYZ-IAH-HNL-GUM-HKG and HKG-SIN. ie. it wants 4 instruments to upgrade the entire eligible portion of the itin, instead of 2 GPUs.
Granted there is a 23 hour stopover (not layover) in HKG (12 hours on way back), but I wouldn't expect that to matter.

I called UA 1K line once and got a clueless agent.

Questions:
1: Shouldn't a single GPU allow upgrades for one direction, i.e. YYZ-IAH-HNL and GUM-HKG-SIN (since HNL-GUM isn't eligible due to class)?
2: On the online upgrade screen, when I click on the upgrade-using-RPU-or-GPU button, it shows YYZ-IAH-HNL and GUM-HKG are eligible for RPU (looks like 1 RPU but from past experience that would take 2 RPU) but the GPU would only cover YYZ-IAH and GUM-HKG. How is that possible? Just a glitch? On the outbound, it shows seats available for ugprade (not waitlist)
3: Does it matter if I do the upgrade online (with 2 GPUs) and then call to make sure all segments (except HNL-GUM, GUM-HNL) are upgraded/waitlisted, or should I only do it over the phone?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by poverty.jet.set; Jul 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm