FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - URGENT- credits from old reward program about to expire, how to redeem?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:06 pm
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by odom4president
Assume, I were to apply for the business SW credit card and get 50,000 points. When I redeem, can I choose to use 3 credits + the remainder in points? Or does the redemption automatically use points first?
You will first purchase the additional 13 credits to get the standard award or SA.

The SA can only be used on certain flights and is becoming increasingly difficult to redeem. I had 6.5 (13 OW's) when RR 2.0 and I have just now gotten it down to 3 OW's. I was able to schedule one more today.

I also have 3 credits and I have decided the points are more valuable than the SA I could purchase. I am going to let them die of neglect. But, I have 250K+ points, so I have no shortage of options for booking flights. I have found that the flights in which I can use SA's are the cheap ones that do not require a lot of points. Close in, less than 48 hours, a SA may open up on a more expensive fare.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Jul 28, 2012 at 7:36 am