FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:14 am
valor155

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
Just ask the people sitting in those seats if they would be willing to accommodate you sitting together. When someone asks me, I almost always switch, unless:

1. They ask in a tone like they are demanding it
2. They get on board before me and sit down in my seat first and then ask me to switch
3. I have chosen a specific seat for a reason, and the seat they are offering me is one that I want to avoid (such as a bulkhead with no legroom or the last row that doesn't recline fully)
+1 Agreed. Above are about the only reasons why I would not honor a polite request.

Good attitude. And keep it classy if the person says "No", even if it is snarky DYKWIA-type response to your request. It is their seat, afterall.

I don't view it as a burden to ask to sit next to a loved one. I think in this case too, karma comes into play in the long haul.

BTW . . . if you lose, and don't get the switch, just let it go. Whining about it afterward only gives the other person satisfaction, and makes you look like a whiner. It's a no-win.