FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter {US-CA}
View Single Post
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:47 am
hginPHL

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
This is the review I just posted on TripAdvisor.

Just finished a 4 night stay here. I am diamond with Hilton, and my profile clearly states high floor, away from elevator. I arrive at the Hilton Gaslamp, and am assigned a room on a high floor, but right next to the elevator. In the minute or so I was in the room, I could hear the dinging from the elevator the entire time. I went to the front desk, and asked to be moved. I get quite an attitude from the man at the front desk who reluctantly says he can move me, but the only room available in the entire hotel is on the fifth floor. I decline. I then go back to my room, and within a half hour, the room is almost 80 degrees. I call and ask for engineering to come and take a look, and they say they will be up immediately. 45 minutes go by - its getting hotter and hotter - and no engineering. I finally go downstairs and ask to be moved again. This time, a very nice woman very quickly finds me a corner room on the 10th floor. She says engineering is in my room, and the compressor for the air conditioner is broken. Where was the room earlier?? I also never got my Diamond perks - such as my breakfast coupons and my water - I had to ask for them separately. Several of my colleagues had other problems with their rooms, including a sewage gas leak. Not quite sure what to make of that.

Once moved, my room was very nice. Nice bed, big clean room. Quiet. I did not experience much train noise as others had mentioned, but did have a room that faced the train tracks. I did have earplugs in my room, but didn't need them,

Great location near convention center, restaurants and shops in the Gaslamp, Seaport Village, and Petco Park.

If I didn't think I would get the run around from the front desk, I would consider this hotel again without hesitation. I am not one that likes to throw my status around, but I do expect the level of service promised by Hilton in their loyalty program, and will ask for what is promised. I really loved the location, and the room I finally ended up with. I just wish I didn't have to fight so hard for it.