FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:37 pm
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by craz
what if all along the price was being shown as $9,000 and taxes etc were $101 and when you got to the checkout page it shows $9,000 + $101 = $1 Its obvious there isnt any Special Fare and its a Billing Error

in the Mistake fares till now I believe that Fare all along was wrong and thats why the DoT says after the fact you cant go back and raise it once its been tkted. In the above ex the fare was always the correct amount till it added it all up but yet it still showed as a $9,000 Fare I wouldnt be surprised if the DoT allowed that $9,000 being billed as $1 to be CXed

with RGN (not in on it) the Fare stayed the same and never changed the Exchange rate is what changed causing the fare to workout in US$ to be nothing, so since they charged the amount they said they would DoT stepped in and made them honor the tkts It really wasnt a Mistake Fare as it was a mistake in currency exchange
I've had it happen to me. It was awhile ago, back in 2005 on a DL flight for DCA-PWM. Start the booking and it showed the regular price of $170 and change. However, once you selected the flights and it priced the ticket, it repriced out to $0. All that was charged were taxes and Travelocity ticket fee at the time. I ended up getting 2 tickets for $57 all in. DL ticketed it and honored the tickets. Back then, we didn't have these rules and DL could have easily canned the ticket.

Like the DL ticket, UA's system pretty much did the same thing, just with miles and taxes instead of all money. It's a mistake, and not a billing error.

Originally Posted by andyh64000
You are exactly right...I don't want to pay for a bunch of people scamming free tickets from united...why should I? I am also against insurance fraud and shoplifting.
Doesn't bother me, I drastically limited my flying on UA for other reasons. I also didn't get in on this deal.

That said, these aren't even in the realm of insurance fraud and shoplifting. UA sold something and it was bought. Fraud indicates getting something by deception, which didn't happen. Shoplifting implies the seller got nothing in return. UA did. One can argue or not whether it was just compensation or not, or whether UA should have to eat it or not because they were dumb enough to sell it for that, but you can't argue that something was stolen.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 25, 2012 at 1:19 pm Reason: merge