FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using points for Antarctica cruise?
View Single Post
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:21 pm
dagaetch

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I've thought hard about this, however it was always the cost that prevented me from doing a tour. At any point did you think it was just a mountainous area with snow?

Also what animals did you see?
Um...I'm sure the thought crossed my mind at one point or another, but it left just as quickly. The most impressive part to me (bear in mind this is several years ago) was the simple fact that humanity doesn't exist there. Yes, I know that we have research stations and such, but there's absolutely no doubt when you're visiting that we don't belong and aren't part of it. It's really quite something, especially if you live in a big city and spend most of your time surrounded by people. The scenery is consistently stunning, and incredibly expansive. Some of our pictures from the trip are at http://www.udel.edu/globalagenda/ant...ages/showcase/ if you want to get an idea. If you're the nautical type at all, it's fun to hear about the adventures getting there as well (the Drake Passage can be a major downside - just go into it assuming you'll get seasick, and there's a chance you'll be lucky and won't).

animals...we saw a bunch of different types of penguins and seals; whales; birds. Interesting fact that surprised me: penguins stink! They poop wherever they want, including on each other, and it smells terrible. But very unimportant .

it's an incredibly expensive trip, and I can't honestly say that it was worth the expense compared to other trips that money could have sent me on. but I don't for one second regret going, and I'd jump at the opportunity to return.