FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:54 pm
mike_la_jolla

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Been to both. MO Vegas was outright hostile to my virtuoso booking. We were put into a postage stamp standard room with a fantastic view of the Monte Carlo hotel roof. I've never seen a nicer roof. The public areas are dark, making it a fine environmental for bats. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THE CABANAS at the pool! So don't ask. The service at the Mosen restaurant was humorously bad. You can't eat in the lobby bar. Again, don't ask. The hotel is very awkward in City Center, but CC is one of the world's great jokes. Even the cab drivers have trouble finding it. To get to Aria and gambling requires a hike up several flights of stairs, followed by the crossing of a bus stop. The rooms have that high tech thing, requiring a user's manual to turn off the lights. 'Light switches' are so old fashioned. 60% of our closest-room was bathroom. The bell boys were good, helpful and very friendly. This is the only hotel in Vegas were I have been greeted by name. We didn't eat at the signature restaurants, but they both appear to be good.

FS Vegas is OK, but very much on the lower end of the chain, but hey, this is VEGAS. Be aware of the 'resort fee'. I find the place much more comfortable than the MO. More of a hostile oasis vibe within the Vegas chaos. The bell staff is more interested in hitting on chicks than helping guests ... that is, if they are present at all. The facilities at Mandalay Bay are much easier to get to, since, well, because, uhhh, FS is wholly contained within the Mandalay building. This point was lost on Lyn and Dave of Gallivanter's fame in their infamous, bewildering Apr'12 issue. Those two threw credibility aside in that issue.

FS is my choice in Vegas, but I dislike the city. Actually, I'm going there this week for the BlackHat Conference. And I'm not looking forward to it.

PS -- Just got back. Still issues with the bell staff, but otherwise a very good stay. (7/27/12)

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Jul 27, 2012 at 6:45 pm