FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA CENTURION card program changes: maximum two authorized users @ $2500 each
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:44 pm
parpar22

Programs: Amex Centurion, Delta Platinum, US Air Platinum, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pterostyrax
I am posting this mainly for the possibility that AMEX employees might monitor this site. We just received a letter that secondary Centurion card members will now be charged the same yearly amount as the primary card member.

If someone from AMEX monitors this site, then here is why we will cancel our membership with AMEX Centurion. First, at one time the benefits we received from Centurion regarding travel were well worth the cost of entry. Due to the elimination of many benefits during the last few years, it became questionable as to whether the benefits outweighed the costs, but we decided the benefits were still worth the cost depending on our travel.

However, with the increase of $1000 for yearly membership fees for a secondary cardholder, this no longer makes sense. We have averaged over $250,000/year spending on our Centurion card. We will now take our business elsewhere. The cost of paying for the amenities rather than receiving them from the Centurion benefits are clearly a better deal.

I suspect that there are certain folks who will consider the flash of a Centurion card still worth the expense. However, my mama did not raise a fool.

Good luck in the future with the Centurion card, AMEX. Anyone with half a brain will cancel.
I think they may be trying to weed out the members who just charge around 250,000 a year which was the threshold for membership. Getting the pool down to a more exclusive clientele which they can then sell to partners to give benefits. So instead of asking united for 10,000 elite statuses they only have to ask for 5,000. Which makes it possible for them to add more benefits and justify the price. I am upset about the price increase seeing we spend around 250-250,000 a MONTH with centurion.