FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Announcement: USAirways Discontinues Interline Bag Check on Split Tickets
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:06 pm
tommyleo

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by treznor
Even though you are picking up the bag (for customs) is this not still considered interlining and through checking? I know it seems odd that you would pick up your bag if its through checked, but I could definitely see how the airline would consider it to be interlined/through checked since the only reason the bag is returned is because of customs.

Never been to PVG, is the system there similar to the system for returning to the US and connecting?
I've never connected through the U.S. But in PVG, many (not all) airlines do not have interline agreements -- even within the same alliance. If that is the case with your flights, you must (1) go through immigration (be sure to show that you have an onward flight so that you don't get snagged for not having a visa!), (2) get your bags, (3) go through Customs, and (4) check-in for your new flight at the ticket counter -- as if you had left the airport.

The MCT's listen between specific airlines at PVG reflect this.