FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Safeway/Vons- buy $100 to $500 Visa Gift card, get $10 back in groceries
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:00 pm
thehawk75

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by liaozhongchao

I did this just now and paid $105.95 for a $100 Mastercard gift card. I also found something different from the former VISA/Mastercard deals:
2. The coupon will be good for any purchase NOT JUST GROCERIES (at least it doesn't mention any restriction except for gift card purchases);
FWIW, the previous offer on the Visa cards had no restrictions listed at all, other than sentence that said 'usage restrictions may apply'.

Of course no where do they ever list an restrictions.

At any rate, every time I use these to buy beer/wine/booze (Vons does have some great deals on beer, especially if you use the 'Just for U' offers) the coupon is rejected. Sometimes the store manager is quick to override and allow the coupon, other store managers are a PITA, saying that 'these don't include alcohol'.

To which I have to argue 'tell me where it says alcohol is excluded, show me anything where it says alcohol is excluded and I will drop this argument'.

Then they might say 'these are for groceries only'

To which I would say 'No, it says right here, on the coupon; $10 off your next shopping order', 'it does not say $10 off your next grocery order'.

Some times they reply with 'well, others excluded alcohol in the past, so, so should these, and the computer doesn't take them, and the computer is always right'.

blah blah...Back and forth back and forth.

Ultimately, all store managers have been capitulating on these (my experience anyway). They goofed up with the stock these are printed on, as well as the coupon itself.

Of course, none of this means anything to anyone who's not interested in using these on booze, but, being that it's summer, and I'm having plenty of BBQ's, booze and beef is about the only thing I'm using these on.

So, long story short, if they're not accepting them for all purchases, don't accept the 'undisclosed exclusions' argument they're trying to use. Speak to the store manager and be polite and insistent to your 'valid' point, they will un-enthusiastically honor the coupon for all purchases over $10.

Of course, I was speaking of the coupons issued for the Visa promo, the coupon may have changed for this one.